Monday 1 December 2014

Work Diary

During this lesson we also went in the studio to photograph in Mapplethorpe’s style. I found this slightly easier than photographing on location as the background was plain and simple and also because Mapplethorpe tended to photograph in a studio so our studio photographs were closer to his style. I found this very interesting as we could use the different backgrounds however I found that my favourite background was the black because this was closer to his style. I also had the idea of using some props in the studio and the only reason we didn’t get around to this was because we ran out of time.
This is one of my Mapplethorpe studio images, I like this image because I think it shows lots of emotion and is also very similar to Mapplethorpes images. To produce this I photographed in the studio however I turnt off one light to create the shadow on his face. I think this is effective because it shows more form and also makes it more similar to Mapplethorpe's work. 
This is another of my studio Mapplethorpe images, I like this image because Ellie is looking off to the distance and this makes her look very dramatic, I also like how I have zoomed out slightly for this so that she fits directly in the middle of the composition. To improve this I think I could have changed the editing for the black and white effect as I think her face looks very dull where I could have made it slightly brighter as this would be closer to Mapplethorpe's style. 

Progress

If I was to photograph in Mapplethorpe’s style using the studio again I would like to have more time in there as I felt I had more ideas however ran out of time, more time would also mean that I could have experimented with different backdrops as I was only able to use the black backdrop however Mapplethorpe sometimes used a white backdrop. I would also like to use a few props as Mapplethorpe occasionally used props within his work such as weapons or chairs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment