Sunday 19 October 2014

Adam Burton

Adam Burton is one of the UK;s leading landscape photographers and he is also an author. Since 2008 he has been working as a full time professional landscape photographer, he has previously photographed five of the seven continents however he know focuses of the UK. He first began teaching himself photography in 2001 by reading magazines and doing plenty of practice. This way of learning has meant that he has a unique style of photography which makes his work recognisable. His work has been regularly published in national newspapers, magazines and also in books, greeting cards and calenders.
Burton likes to work during dawn and dusk as he feels the natural light is at its best. He also uses equipment to enable him to capture the beauty authentically rather than relying on computer enhancements.
I chose to look at Burtons work because I think his technique for taking photos is very professional however his work is also very unique and show the formal element of reflection.
This is Adam Burtons photographs over a lake. This photograph shows reflection very well as he has taken the photo at dusk and this has meant that the reflections of the different colours in the sky have reflected in the water as well as the mountains and scenery.

This is another of Adam Burtons photographs over a lake, this image however is slightly different as he has taken the photo at a different time of the day so it is much brighter and we can also assume by the snow that it was taken at a different time of year too. I like this image as it looks very serene and the water looks crisp.
This photo of Burtons is again taken over a lake however this has a very different background. This was taken somewhere more green than the other images which where near mountains. This image looks very natural and the colours are also very precise. This image also shows reflection as you can see the reflection of the tree and green hills on the water, the colour of these also contrasts with the brilliant blue of the sky.
This is my final example of Burtons work. This image is slightly different to Burtons other images because this was taken of the coast. This image shows some coastal landforms during sunset, similarly to the first image, he has used this time effectively to capture the colours of the sky in the water and the landform is also reflected however it is just dark and we cannot see clearly what this is.

Influence
Adam Burton's work has influenced me because I think his work is very natural as he does not use editing equipment, he chooses to use equipment whilst taking the photograph to enhance the photograph. I think his work is very effective because he takes the photos during dawn and dusk and this means that there are some very vivid colours and in some of his images you cannot see the detail of the object such as the mountains and this makes the colours in the background stand out. The image below is one of my own images, I took this during my spare time however the composition was influenced by Burton's work. I like his images of lakes and the reflection within the water and I have tried to replicate that within this image. I think that I have replicated his work rather well because the reflection of this image is very vivid and the colours are also very bright and eye-catching however if I was to try this again I would use a different location because in Burton's images the landscapes are slightly different colours such as blues whereas my image is more green with the hint of blue in the sky and reflection of the sky.

Summary
When I originally looked at Adam Burton's work I did not find it interesting however after looking at his work in more detail I began to find his work slightly more intriguing as I noticed the different formal elements within it. I also noticed how bright and contrasting the colours were within his images and this is what attracted me to them because they were eye-catching.


No comments:

Post a Comment