Thursday 25 September 2014

Research Log

Pete Turner 

Pete Turner is a colour photographer from America. He focuses on colour in a variety of different things, for example he has a group of work from Africa and another of volcanoes. I like Pete Turners work and I think that his photography would be good to look at as his photographs are very interesting and show colour very well. 

Ansel Adams

Ansel Adams is a very famous photographer who is well known for his black and white images. Some of Ansel Adams photographs show form, the use of black and white within his photography also shows the tone very well and I think his work is very would be useful to show form.


Some of Ansel Adams work also shows depth. I like his work however I think I could find photographers who represent depth much better as the majority of his work does not show depth where other photographers may concentrate on depth. 

Adam Burton



Adam Burton is famously known for his landscape photography however some of his work does come under the pattern category, this may not be intentional however I feel his work is very representative of pattern. I like his photography because it is all very natural and I think it would also be reasonably easy to replicate work similar to his. 

Walker Evans 

Walker Evans work shows some tone. He often focuses on portraits and also uses black and white which is a very effective way of showing tone.  I like his work because I think it shows emotion with meaning and it is a good representation of tone. I would like to look at his work in more depth because I think it is very complex and has a deeper meaning. 

Imogen Cunningham


Imogen Cunningham's photography also shows tone and form by using black and white. Due to having children she was originally focused on photographing her children and plants in here garden, she then went on to photograph dancers. She then began to take photographs in colour and also concentrated on portraits.  I like her nature photography because she shows tone and form very well and i think se would be a good artist to look at further. 

Joel Meyerowitz

Joel Meyerowitz was a famous Street, portrait and landscape photographer. I feel that some of his street work shows depth due to being taken in busy cities where the building in the background are smaller than buildings in the foreground as they are getting further away. I like his work and would like to study it further. 

Karl Blossfeldt



Karl Blossfeldt was a famous photographer, sculptor, teacher and artist however he is famous for his close up photographs of plants and living things. He had a homemade camera which often meant he could magnify the size of any object so that it increases the size immensely. His work shows pattern very well as plants naturally include lots of patterns. I think his work would be very good to look at for a pattern photographer.

Eugene Atget


Eugene was a famous photographer who focused on documenting photographs of all the architecture and street scenes in paris before they were modernised. Because he photographed street scenes, this means that lots of his photographs show depth. I like his work because it is very traditional and looks very effective and I think he would be a good example to look at for depth. 

Brassai


Brassai was a Hungarian photographer, sculptor, writer and filmmaker who became famous in France in the 20th century. His photographs often concentrated on capturing paris at night and within these pictures he often shows reflection because of the street lights reflecting off of water of the roads. I particularly like his photographs and I would really like to study his work further. 

Eadweard Muybridge

Eadweard Muybridge was an english photographer who photographed animals in a very unique way, by showing motion however I feel that his work would come under the pattern category because of his repletion of the animal. I understand that there is a slight variation between each image of the animal in his photographs however the entire picture looks like a pattern. I like his work however think my other example of a pattern photographer is much better as his are more defined and Muybridge's have a slight variation. 

Ian Wallace

Ian Wallace was born in the Isle of Man, migrated to Australia and later moved to Tasmania. His photographs focus on a variety of things however the two above show reflection and the second shows Depth. I like his photographs and would like to look at them I'm greater detail however he focuses on such a variety of things that it would be difficult to focus on his work. 

John G. Zimmerman

John G. Zimmerman is an American Magazine photographer. However in my opinion lots of his work shows movement as it is taken of sport or an action taking place. I like his work however I think that i could find a better photographer for movement.

Lee Towndrow

Lee Towndrow is a visual artist based in New York. These are two typical examples of Towndrow's work and they show colour very well. I really like his work because it shows colour very well and is generally a very interesting composition. I especially like the first image because he has used to pink of the outfit and swimming cap to go with the bright blusher and then used the turquoise colour to contrast this.

David LaChappelle

David LaChappelle is an American photographer and designer. His photographs are very surrealist and I find this to be very interesting. I think LaChappelles work would come under the colour category as there are very vibrant colours which stand out very well. I would like to look at his photos in greater detail as i think some may come under several formal elements. 

Nigel Barker

Nigel Barker is an English photographer, the majority of his work focuses on people and the human form however in my opinion these two images show form and also the bottom image shows reflection. i really like his work and would look at it in more depth. 

Edward Weston


Edward Weston photography is mainly focused on the formal element texture. Weston mainly photographs the natural elements however he also takes photos of nudes, architecture and portraits. I like his photography of vegetables as I feel they show texture very well and I also like how Weston uses black and white in his photos as this exaggerates the texture within the object. I like Westons work however I would not like to study him in great detail.

David Hockney


David Hockney is a photographer, painter and editor. He is most popular for his collages and montages, for example his photjoiner images. A photojoiner is the use of lots of very close up detailed images, put together to show a bigger picture and in my opinion Hockney has a great talent for this.

Lois Greenfield


Lois Greenfield often photographs the dance industry and in this she often shows the formal element of movement. I like how she uses movement in many different ways which are all effective as we can often see by their flowing outfits that they are moving whilst the photograph is being taken. I think Greenfields work is amazing and shows movement very well and I would love to look into her in greater detail however I feel it would be easier for someone with some sort of dance knowledge to understand easier what is happening in the photo.

Kimiko Yoshida


Kimoko Yoshidas work often explores different formal elements through portraits. She sometimes does this by including one formal element such as colour and then having everything else in the picture is white so the colour contrasts. I love Yoshidas and would like to look into it in greater detail.

Tereza Vlckova


Tereza Vlckova is a photographer who takes a range of images and displays them together, however they do not fit under the category of a photojoiner because they are not being put together in one photo, they are separate from eachother. This brings a deeper meaning into her photography and ithink it creates a story within the photo.


No comments:

Post a Comment